How to get the return status of a command runned by os.popen4

Alain Barthe barthe at magic.fr
Wed Sep 5 10:58:57 EDT 2001

> Alain,
>
> I've had good luck on Windows NT 4 with the following  combination:
>
>     cmdPipe = os.popen(aCmdLine)
>     resultStream = cmdPipe.read()
>
> At this point you can read resultStream for any stdout feedback
> returned by aCmdLine. Is that what you need?

Not really. I catch easily stdout, stdin and stderr. My need is to catch
the decimal return code of the command. On UNIX, 0 means success,
anything else means failure.

With os.popen, the close method returns this decimal code:

cmdPipe = os.popen(aCmdLine)
return_code = cmdPipe.close()

With os.popen4, it does not :-(

Thanks Terry.