windll/win32client question

Neil Hodgson nhodgson at bigpond.net.au
Mon Sep 10 18:21:24 EDT 2001

Alex Rice:

> I tried using python's calldll/windll to access the functions in the
> .dll. However, the "preferred entry point" for this SDK is the .wll
> file. Furthermore the .wll defines extra functions which I need which
> are not defined in the .dll. The .dot files AFAIK are just VBA wrappers
> for the .dll and .wll functions. So I need to access the .wll.

   The way that a WLL works is to expose one function (easily callable using
calldll) which then calls back into the host (Word) to register the
functions. Creating a suitable host environment in Python would be
difficult. If you really need this functionality and see no other way to
access, then consider writing a WLL hosting environment in C. There is an
article on WLLs in the May 1994 Microsoft Systems Journal.

   Neil