[OT] Re: Creating Excel files on Linux

Maan M. Hamze mmhamze at pleiades.net
Fri Sep 7 14:20:45 EDT 2001

Roman
I agree with you, and it is not my intention or my inclination to be put on
a side that hypes things.  Most of the software on my own PC is open source
software.
When I say realistic I mean the following:  we live in a society (at least
in the US) that is based on hype after all, and software is only one
indication of the hype that surrounds everything.  I have run into many that
attack Microsoft to only sing the praises of Sun.  Even many tools that run
on Linux are getting to be hyped.  I was by the way one of the earliest
adapters of Linux.  So, I believe we are talking about the same thing but in
different terms.  And we are in agreement.
I personally dislike the commercial hype of software and I use open source
software.  But when it comes to my work I just have to survive in a
marketplace that is based on hype and buzzwords.  If a manager wants to use
.NET (whatever the hell .NET is) then I have to look at it and ensure that
our processes will run fine with the new technology.
Maan