Pythonwin and .NET

Mark Hammond MarkH at ActiveState.com
Mon Sep 10 03:56:18 EDT 2001

Alex Martelli wrote:

> I think you're confusing "what shows on the outside of a component" (which
> is constrained by CRL rules, etc) with what goes on inside it.  I want to
> use Python (and others will want Eiffel, or Cobol, or Mercury, etc) because
> I am convinced it gives me incredibly good productivity to implement and
> consume those externally-constrained interfaces.  I may want to use Python
> on .NET, or on the JVM, or with COM, etc, if and when deployment issues
> make that preferable to (e.g.) classic Python with C/API extensions -- it's
> as simple as that.

I agree 100% for the few excellent programmers out there, and also for
the "shrink-wrapped component" authors.  However, the majority of
programmers really know only a few languages with a high degree of
competence - I know that I do.  I am very unlikely to write code in
either Mercury or Cobol (or even Perl :).  A software house selling a
component certainly may choose to, but most users - especially those in
the large corporate shops - will not, and will stick with 1-3 languages.

Python should have a place here, but this newsgroup is preaching to the
choir.  Python already has excellent Win32 integration capabilities - so
I am unsure what about .NET will suddenly make Python more visible or
viable on Windows than the existing Python+COM has.

> Sure, many shops won't get it, and will happily go on Cobol'ing or
> whatever.  Think of it as evolution in action, as Niven and/or Pournelle
> used to say:-).  If my competitors get half my productivity because they
> prefer to use other languages, _I_ am not gonna complain:-).

Again, I agree 100%.  However, this exact same option is available to
them today.  I am not sure I see anything in .NET that makes Python
*more* attractive than it already is on Windows, and can see a few
things that make it less attractive on V1 than C# and VB for .NET, for
example.

> No, but you're just as certainly *the* guy with the most experience merging
> Python and .NET at this point in time, so your opinion carries enormous
> weight (and well it should!).  Should one be able to sway your opinion, the
> prospects of Python on .NET might well change for the better;-).

I may have given the wrong impression here :)  I believe .NET is very
cool, and Python is very cool.  But I don't really see much in the
marriage of Python and .NET that suddenly creates a whole greater than
the sum of the parts.

And on the more pragmatic side, there is still *significant* work
remaining to be done before Python on .NET is really viable, and I know
of no commercial effort underway to implement this.  From memory,
JPython took a number of years to be considered viable and to transform
into Jython.

Mark.