COM/CORBA/DCOP (was: Hello people. I have some questions)

Heiko Wundram heikowu at ceosg.de
Sat Sep 1 09:42:42 EDT 2001

Bruce Sass wrote on Fri, 31 Aug 2001 13:02:54 -0600 (MDT):

> Another faction (KDE) has DCOP.  They started out using CORBA, iirc,
> but then went their own way.  Is DCOP even fancier than CORBA, or
> are they just being different?.  Is it possible to get COM, CORBA, and
> DCOP to talk to each other?

Hmm... I dunno whether you can get them to talk to each other, but about
DCOP:

It is basically an RPC-interface that is directly bound to KDE's class
structure, and which is also quite "simplistic", unlike Corba, etc. What
the KDE people said was that they wouldn't need all the features Corba had
to offer, and so they chose for something that would be simpler to
implement, and out came DCOP.

Just my 2 cents contribution on this topic. ;)

Heiko W.