Can't compile python w/out threads

Frederic Faure ffaure at bigSPAMGAMOUTAKUSANfoot.com
Tue Sep 11 20:50:36 EDT 2001

Hi,

	I'm trying to install the open-source Newsbruiser blogger
application, which requires Apache and Python.
Since no precise information is given, I figured I'd compile python
1.6.1 with mod_python 2.7.5 and apache 1.3.20, with mod_python as a
static module.

1. I successfully compiled and installed Python this way:

cd /usr/src/Python ;  make clean ; rm -f config.cache; ./configure
--prefix=/usr/local/nothread-python --with-threads=no ; make ; make
install.

2. Next step, cd /usr/src/apache

; ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache-apache

3. Configuring mod_python, however, fails:

cd ../mod_python ; ./configure --with-apache=/usr/src/apache_1.3.20
--with-python=/usr/src/Python

"  ****** WARNING ******   Python is compiled with thread support. "

I've tried replacing /usr/src/Python with /usr/local/Python (can't
find bin/python), and /usr/local/Python/bin/, but I still get the
above warning, and in addition get a couple of "No such file or
directory"

=> I also tried compiling Python with --without-threads, to no avail.
How can I build a truly thread-free python? I know it's just a
warning, but considering what it says about issues with Apache, I'd
rather have a successful configuration.

Thx
FF.