large class hierarchies in python

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Mon Sep 10 16:31:03 EDT 2001

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Jon wrote:

> In article <9nhj3l$gqi$1 at uni00nw.unity.ncsu.edu>, "Justin Dubs"
> <jtdubs at eos.ncsu.edu> wrote:
[...]
> APL is justly regarded as a language we don't need to know about any more
> (mainly because modern keyboards don't have enough keys for it :-) )...
> but just in case you are interested, take a look here:
>
> 	http://www.aplusdev.org/
>
> A+ is a language grown out of APL, developed by people from Morgan
> Stanley (the investment bank). There is a GPLed interpreter system which
> you can download from that site.

Ken Iverson, the designer of APL, went on to make J (which has no funny
symbols):

http://www.acm.org/sigapl/

http://www.jsoftware.com/

Yes, it still looks like line noise (this program, partly written by the
Iverson dynasty itself, was a runner-up in the ICFP functional programming
contest):

http://www.ai.mit.edu/extra/icfp-contest/j-source.txt

> If you are intested in even more esoteric languages, you might want to
> look at the Cat's Eye Technologies website:
>
> 	http://www.catseye.mb.ca/
>
> part of which is a collection of esoteric programming language --
> including two really beautiful ones: Befunge (2D source code), and

I think this guy wins *that* contest :-)

(the original page appears to be dead atm, this is the Google cache of it)
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cache:o8sP21nnd-Q:www.flourish.org/zbefunge.html+ZBefunge&hl=en

It's Befunge interpreter (and IDE, if you can believe that), written in
Inform, which itself compiles into Z-code, the format used by Infocom for
their text adventure games way back in prehistoric times.  The web page
shows "ZBefunge, ironically running a simple text adventure".

On the question of more practical languages, there are several
logic-programming languages that are being actively developed at the
moment, both these look very interesting:

http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/research/mercury/

http://www.mozart-oz.org/

John