Creating Excel files on Linux

Maan M. Hamze mmhamze at pleiades.net
Fri Sep 7 13:30:05 EDT 2001

"Michael A. Miller" <mmiller3 at iupui.edu> wrote in message
news:873d5ygbzx.fsf at lumen.med.iupui.edu...

>     > When I say that the world speaks the XLS language I mean
>     > that is what your average Joe Blow and Jane Doe understand
>     > behind their desks in their offices.
>
> My experience has been that the average user doesn't understand
> that at all :)

This is fine.  But in my experience, the average user can create a Macro and
be trained to create useful forms in Excel in a much shorter time than it
will take to get a Computer Science degree in order to be able to step
through a JAVA function.
The issue here Michael, in my opinion, is that many attack Microsoft on the
premise of the MYTH of an open platform that is being called on by many
sides including companies that would not give a dime about this concept if
they have the same market share as Microsoft.
Maan