Keeping os context possible? Re: Python a good thing for sysadmins ?

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Fri Sep 14 05:48:29 EDT 2001

"Magnus Lycka" <magnus at thinkware.se> wrote in message
news:3BA14452.B72EFE1A at thinkware.se...
> A unix shell script or an NT cmd file would live in the os
> context. It wouldn't spawn a new process for every command,

Unix shell scripts always spawn a new process for every
command, where the "command" is an external program (or
other script) rather than a shell builtin.  So does CMD.EXE,
actually, it just has stuff built-in that most Unix shells
keep out, such as file-copying.  So I'm not sure what that
'db2' command (program?) is doing that lets it keep state
from one call to the other under a shell but not when run
from Python...!

Alex