Web Application Server in Python: which one to choose ?

Thomas Weholt thomas at gatsoft.no
Mon Sep 3 07:40:13 EDT 2001

My experience with the ones I've tested ( Zope and Webware ) is that if you
can find either products ( in zope ) or allready existing features in the
system that fits your needs, you might get productive rather quick. If you
on the other hand want to develop highly customized solutions you might have
to invest more time and possibly money. How you like to work, if you like
using *SP-based solutions like DHTML in Zope and PSP and Webware etc. will
also play a big part in deciding what package you want to use. I think
Webware and Zope work just fine if you're way of working is compatible with
the concept behind one of those packages.

I found Zope too complex, almost bloated, Webware was interesting and showed
alot of promise, but failed to invoke serious interest. I've started
developing my own application server based on Medusa and take parts of the
concept behind Zope, Webware, other Java-based application servers like
Tomcat and Enhydra and it's coming along nicely, soon becoming ready for a
beta-release. I wanted 100% control of my code, complete seperation of
design and code, "web-components", simpler user/access-management etc. and
at the same time learn how it all worked, that's why I decided to create a
new project.

Perhaps no real answer to your question, but ...

Thomas

news:3B9364F8.2C477597 at el_simpatico.be...