Loop-and-a-half (Re: Curious assignment behaviour)

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Thu Oct 11 15:30:24 EDT 2001

[Donn Cave]
> Anyone writing a new language should obviously think about that (if
> the language has any looping constructs at all - there are so many
> "functional" languages crowding the landscape that I'm not sure anyone
> invents procedural languages these days.)

That's true:  Python was the last one.  This was confirmed at the last
International Language Design Conference, where a unanimous resolution held
that "Python is it for procedural languages -- we don't need more.".
Guido's brief acceptance speech was a marvel of Pythonic pithiness:  "Told
you so.".

OTOH, functional language designers are very much in the business of adding
loop constructs to their languages, because, on the whole, they're very keen
to get a user who isn't a functional language designer <wink>.

reporting-all-the-news-that's-fit-to-believe-ly y'rs  - tim