Bugfix releases (RE: profiler results for __getattr__, am I reading this correctly ? )

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Sun Oct 21 02:06:52 EDT 2001

In article <mailman.1003392018.30310.python-list at python.org>,
Anthony Baxter  <anthony at interlink.com.au> wrote:
> "Tim Peters" wrote
>>
>> The bugfix release process is the topic of Aahz's PEP 6, who may have
>> believed that titling it "Bug Fix Releases" was enough clue <wink>:
>
>It still doesn't cover the process of deciding what would go in the
>patch release...

It doesn't?

>How would this sound as a first cut at a what-goes-in-and-what-stays:
>
>   a) bugfixes.
>   b) no new modules, no new packages.
>   c) no new methods on classes, unless they're bugfixes.
>   d) if the bug fix relies on some 2.2-ism, then it's either rewritten,
>      or ignored and relnoted

PEP 6 was designed more to cover core Python than the standard library,
I'll admit.  I think the intent is pretty clear, though.  If not, I'll
clean up the language to add some restrictions on library changes.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                 http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

We must not let the evil of a few trample the freedoms of the many.