Controlling the Opera browser under UNIX

Markus Schaber markus at schabi.de
Thu Oct 11 13:23:39 EDT 2001

Hi,

Jaroslav Gergic <jaroslav_gergic at cz.ibm.com> schrub:

> The webbrowser module in the Python 2.1 does not
> support the Opera browser directly.
>
> Did anybody solve this problem (i.e. implemented
> a controller class which can effectively control the Opera
> browser?
>
> Saying effectively I mean the controller does not
> spawn a new process for each "open-an-URL" request
> but it uses some IPC to re-use the process already running.

It should not be too difficult to write this, as long as one can
execute the opera binary with additional command line options.

As far as I know, opera can interpret the same command line remote
control options as Netscape.

Additionally,
"opera -newwindow %s" % url
works just fine for me (opens a new opera if none is present, and
tells already running operas to open a new window).

markus

--
You don't have to be Microsoft to suck... but it helps.
(Tim Hammerquist in comp.lang.python)