Python: Zope with MySQL (and insert_id)

Nick Glencross nickg at glencros.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 11 06:30:28 EDT 2001

I've spent the last two days teaching myself Zope, but there's alot that
I need to relearn to be able to implement web pages that I'd ordinarily
write as Perl CGI scripts.

I've written simple mock-ups of forms and the like which I'd need to be
able to do, but one of the remaining problems is to do with my MySQL
backend.

I've compiled up the Python MySQL DA relatively easily, but really need
to get at the MySQL-specific 'insert_id' functionality on the Database
Connection from within Zope.I can see that the ZMySQLDA module exposes
the functionality (in MySQLmodule.c). Although this means that the
functionality is obviously there through Python, I've hit a brick wall
trying to reach it through Zope itself.

I *think* that I need to write some Python which gets Zope's datbase
connection (obviously it can't just open a new connection), and then
gets insert_id from it.

Can anyone confirm that I'm on the right track, or better still, if
anyone's managed it, please let me know,

Thanks in advance,

Nick Glencross