Python is better than free (was Re: GNU wars again)

Chris Watson opsys at voodooland.net
Tue Oct 2 23:59:43 EDT 2001

On Tuesday 02 October 2001 10:42 pm, Delaney, Timothy wrote:
> > From: Chris Watson [mailto:opsys at voodooland.net]

> > > However, GPL is *not* extortion. The writer of a piece of
> >
> > code has every
> >
> > > right to want to protect, control or charge for it.
> >
> > That's true. But dont call it Free code if you do. Because it
> > is not free.
> > Look up free in the dictionary. That is the ONLY definition
> > that should be
> > followed. Not whatever twisted version the FSF and GNU people
> > want to use.
> > The gernal gist of any dictionary is its free if its free
> > from control,
> > opression, or restrictions.
>
> Did you even *read* my message? The word "free" does not appear *anywhere*
> in that message. I know - I copied the text into my editor and did a
> case-insensitive search.
>
> I dislike the GPL. If you had read my message, you would have seen that. I
> never use the term "free" with licenses as the term has become useless in a
> discussion - argue all you want about dictionary definitions, that will
> *never* convince people on the other side of the fence to yourself. After
> all, I am sure that *every* dictionary has multiple meanings for the term
> "free".
>
> Taking things out of context does not make your argument any stronger. You
> should *not* have only quoted the *sole* part of my message which conceded
> the right of someone to protect their work in the manner that they deem
> fit.

My implication wasnt clear. I wasnt implying YOU  were implying it was free.
I was merely stating in the gernal sense that putting restrictions on code,
such as the GPL does, should not be allowed to be called free. It is not
free. But I didnt make that clear.

And no not every dictionary has the same meaning but they all state that
freedom must be clear of control, or restrictions. And thats in every
dictionary.

And I quoted the whole message for your satisfaction.

Chris