PostgreSQL "object database" interface?

Titus Brown t at chabry.caltech.edu
Fri Oct 19 21:15:38 EDT 2001

Hi all,

I recently found myself writing a quick little object interface
that takes advantage of Postgres' table inheritance functionality to
manage objects from a hierarchy of classes.  I've found that the
table inheritance feature of PostgreSQL really reduces the impedance
mismatch between my objects and the database's SQL tables; this naturally
begs the question "has anyone else worked on this, and if so, where is
it"?

If it doesn't work only with Postgres, it doesn't use the inheritance
features (unless you know something about e.g. Oracle that I don't ;).
I've already looked at ZODB, 4ODS, and PyDO -- they're all too
disconnected from the actual Postgres implementation to be of interest
to me, at least in this sense.

I'd be interested in hearing from people who are thinking about this, as
well; I'm a prototyper kinda guy, so I'm mostly just hacking this
together as I go, and orthogonal thought processes are always helpful.

thanks,
--titus