Question: Event driven programming

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Sat Oct 27 22:00:20 EDT 2001

In article <Xns914820011ACcliechtigmxnet at 62.2.16.82>,
Chris Liechti  <cliechti at gmx.net> wrote:
>"Károly Ladvánszky" <aa at bb.cc> wrote in
>news:3bdb0140_5 at corp-goliath.newsgroups.com:
>
>> What I have in my mind is not necessarily UI related. In VB, objects
>> can raise events, objects interested in the events will handle them.
>> Thats a very simple mechanism, facilitates easy coding in many
>> situations, even if its just a console application with no GUI at all.
>> They are similar to exceptions but they return to the caller and they
>> can have parameters/return values of any kind.
>>

>that sound like an "observer pattern" for me.... it is a common thing to do
>in OO languages. it's not a feature of a language but more a idea that can
>be implemented in various ways and languages.
			.
			.
			.
Yes and no.  Tcl, for example, prides itself
on its event-oriented capabilities.  A com-
plement to your description is to regard
threads, events, co-routines, ... as alter-
native concurrency constructs.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net