how do I get solaris thread fixes from 2.2b1 into 2.1?

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald at ncl.ac.uk
Tue Oct 30 04:28:06 EST 2001

In article <mailman.1004290348.6316.python-list at python.org>, "Tim
Peters" <tim.one at home.com> wrote:

> [Tony McDonald]
> > Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get the Solaris thread fixes
> > that are in python 2.2b1 into a copy of python 2.1 I have?
>
> Study the CVS log for Python/thread_pthread.h (paste this URL together):
>
> http://cvs.sf.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/python/python/
>     dist/src/Python/thread_pthread.h

Yikes! - this is my first time around a CVS system in anger, I'll need
to regroup a little and spend some time looking around before wading in.

> Take your best guess as to what's relevant, and try to rebuild a Python
> with
> just that much changed.  This is playing with fire, but most people seem
> prefer that to hiring a firefighter to do it for them <wink>.

I tell you, if I could get the money from the faculty I'd be in like a
shot! ;)

> My guess is that rev 2.32 is your best shot:
>
> ----------------------------
> revision 2.32
> date: 2001/09/10 14:10:54;  author: gvanrossum;  state: Exp;  lines: +8
> -3
> Improve threading on Solaris, according to SF patch #460269, submitted
> by bbrox at bbrox.org / lionel.ulmer at free.fr.
>
> This adds a configure check and if all goes well turns on the
> PTHREAD_SCOPE_SYSTEM thread attribute for new threads.
>
> This should remove the need to add tiny sleeps at the start of threads
> to allow other threads to be scheduled.
> ----------------------------
>
> As Guido's comment implies, we don't actually know that the patch
> accomplishes anything, but patch 460269 said it did (which also see; the
> theory sounds right to me).

I was hoping that I could just copy thread_pthread.h from a 2.2b and
plop it into a 2.1 release and see if that sorts things out.

This revision mentions configuration and other files - so I'll have to
tread carefully.

Having said all that, many thanks for the help Tim - it would have taken
ages for me to get there (if at all).

cheers,
tone.