interpreter crashes

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Sun Oct 28 07:47:19 EST 2001

Tim Peters wrote:

> [Paul Rubin]
> > A few times I've had Python 2.1.1 crash on me for no apparent reason.
> > [..]
> Are you running with any extension modules (incl. any sort of GUI pkg)?  Are
> you running threads?  Refcount problems in extension modules (others' or
> especially your own) are historically the #1 cause of crashes.  Thread races
> seemingly unique to a specific platform are #2.  Cyclic gc caused a few
> nasty cases when it was new, but we don't see reports of crashes due to that
> anymore.

E.g. I have problems when running a patched python-ldap module (C
extension module) which wraps OpenLDAP 2 libs with Python 2.1.1 even
without multi-threading. It runs just fine with Python 2.0.

Other people reported that exactly this patched version works
smoothly for them without crashing with Python 2.0 *and* 2.1. Maybe
the underlying system libs are relevant too?

Ciao, Michael.