why no RealPython yet?

Chris Barker chrishbarker at home.net
Tue Oct 16 14:29:02 EDT 2001

Chris Ryland wrote:

> And, yes, it's not as powerful a tool in some sense as something like
> BlackAdder,

you might want to check out Boa Constuctor as well:

http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net/

> but it's oh so much more approachable (which is the point
> of RAD tools)

Approachability is nice, but if it limits the power and flexibility of
the tool, I'm not interested. RealBasic did seem to be pretty good to
me, but IIRC, it had a very cluncky and limited way of communicating
with other libraries: Python's extensibility is key to it's success and
power.

> and it produces all three platform binaries with one
> click, which is even more the point of tools for people in the
> commercial world whose targets are pretty much limited to Win32 and
> MacOS 8/9 and X.

This is a pretty nive feature, and tools like McMillian's Installer are
getting close to this

> I'm almost tempted to produce a clone based on Python...

If you do want to go this route, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE piggyback off an
esisting project, like PythonCard or Boa. These projects have similar
goals to yours, although taking their inspiration from HyperCard and
Delphi, respectively, insteadd of Visual Basic (which is the inspiration
for RealBasic)

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,