problems building mod-python

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sat Oct 27 21:09:22 EDT 2001

I've downloaded mod_python-2.7.6 and am having trouble building it.  I've
got apache-1.3.22 built from source and python-2.0 installed from an RPM
(RedHat-6.2, more or less).

The instruction say you need python built from source, so I downloaded
python-2.0.1 and built that without any problems, using "./configure
--with-threads=no", like the mod_python instructions say.  But, when I try
to build mod_python, with

./configure \
  --with-apache=/usr/local/src/apache_1.3.22 \
  --with-python=/usr/local/src/Python-2.0.1

It still complains that my python has threads:

checking whether Python is compiled with thread support... yes

  ****** WARNING ******
  Python is compiled with thread support. Apache 1.3 does not use threads.
  On some systems this will cause problems during compilation, on others
  it may result in unpredictable behaviour of your Apache server. Yet on
  others it will work just fine. The recommended approach is to compile
  Python without thread support in a separate location and specify it with
  --with-python option to this ./configure script.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?