MS network provider using Python

John S. Yates, Jr. john at yates-sheets.org
Wed Oct 31 16:00:50 EST 2001

I am still in my Python learning stage.  (Not yet ready
to roll my own implementation :-)

I am prototyping a network provider (a DLL exporting
an implementation of the MS defined NP API and invoked
by MS's MPR (Multiple Provider Router)).  Since I
anticipate a great deal of experimentation I would
dearly love to do some prototyping in Python.

Can anyone in this news group offer words of wisdom?

What is the best way in this kind of a rapid prototyping
environment to expose my python code as a DLL?

The relevant interfaces are not part of win32 so they
are not supported by Mark Hammond's win32all package.
This suggests that I need some kind of foreign function
interface/package/technology.  Should I try to decipher
CALLDLL?  Is there a better alternative?  (In a past
life I have been alternatively an assembly language coder
and a compiler writer.  So mapping function prototypes
to calling mechanisms and data representations is not
a stumbling block.)

As I mentioned earlier, I would love to pull this off
in Python.  But I am willing to be told by those in the
know that I am really better of sticking to C++...

/john

--
John Yates
40 Pine Street