Python is better than free (was Re: GNU wars again)

Joshua Macy l0819m0v0smfm001 at sneakemail.com
Tue Oct 9 18:14:50 EDT 2001

Paul Boddie wrote:

> Who are these Strunk and White people anyway? (Serious question - I
> assume it's an American English style manual people keep referring to,
> or something, but I can't be bothered to search for it.) They must be
> rich by now, though. ;-)

  Strunk & White are William Strunk, Jr. and E.B. White, authors of The
Elements of Style, which is pretty much *the* American English style
manual...all the books you've ever seen called The Elements of ____
Style (e.g. The Elements of Programming Style by Kernighan and Plauger)
are patterned after it.  E.B. White was a famous essayist (writing for
the New Yorker for many years) and author of Charlotte's Web; William
Strunk, Jr. was a college English professor of his. The Elements of
Style started as a textbook written and privately printed by Strunk, and
was revised by White.  It's a slim volume, weighing in at 85 pages, and
is almost Pythonic in its pithiness.

   Joshua