Unpacking extension (Re: A small inconsistency in syntax?)

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Tue Oct 30 15:15:57 EST 2001

<James_Althoff at i2.com> wrote in ...

> Bernhard Herzog wrote:
> >Personally, I wouldn't mind to see the "[a,b] = sequence" syntax go.
>
> I agree.  I think it's confusing and adds no value (unless I'm missing
> something).

But since it's been permissible for a long time, removing it might break
existing code. Would you propose a PEP to go through the "from __future__
..." phase and arrive at "feature removed"? As far as I'm concerned it
remains a quirk, which I could easily live without but equally easily
ignore.

regards
 Steve
--