Why so few Python jobs? (and licenses)

Mark mmealman at tarsis.org
Tue Oct 9 10:30:59 EDT 2001

In article <7xd73x1cgf.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>, Paul Rubin wrote:
> Gerhard Häring <gh_pythonlist at gmx.de> writes:
> of people's hands in them (that's the whole point of the GPL).  If I
> write a GPL'd module and users start sending me fixes and
> improvements, I have to think of them as contributors who worked on
> the program with the understanding that it was free.  If someone else
> then wants to pay me for the right to use the improved module in a
> closed product, I have to get the permission of everyone else who
> contributed, which may mean they all have to also get paid.

No. If I wrote a module and placed it under the GPL, I still own the
copyright on that module.

That gives me the right to release that code under any other license as I
see fit, even though I can never take away anyone's right to use it under
the GPL.

IMHO submitting patches to a program does not give you any copyright hold
over that program, although I don't think it's been legally tested yet.

The spirit of the GPL is not about placing restrictions on the origional
copyright holder of a program, it's a means for him or her to place his
software into the public domain and insure that no one "steals" it without
giving back.

-Mark

-Mark