XML Marshalling of objects

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Thu Oct 4 12:47:39 EDT 2001

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> writes:

> which might be what you meant by CDATA element in a DTD but then again
> it might not be (and DTDs are obsolete, aren't they?).

Yeah, my mistake - I should have said #PCDATA for the DTD - or the
CDATA section is fine too.

XML Schemas may be the "in" thing, but DTDs are still very much in use
from what I can see (particularly when you also want compatibility
with SGML).

>                                                         That way you
> would have to escape only the sequence ]]> if it were to occur in the
> data.

The use of the embedded CDATA section would help minimize the tokens
to quote, but the moment you have any escape (even one) you pretty
much have the same overhead for encoding and decoding, in terms of
having to walk the stream on both ends independent of the pickle.

--
-- David