running Python remotely w/ Mac OS X 10.1

Greg Welch welch at cs.unc.edu
Thu Oct 25 08:56:27 EDT 2001

Hi. I am running Python 2.2b1 on three different Macs, each/all OS X 10.1
(relatively clean installs) with the 10-19-2001 security (and MS IE) patch.
All are G4 machines w/ lots of memory.

2.2b1seems to build (configure --with-suffix=.exe), install, and run just
fine on all machines when working from a local terminal window. However I
see strange behavior when trying to run remotely.

1. If I connect to one of the machines remotely using ssh (e.g. ssh to my
dual G4, which is faster than my home machine) and try and start python, I
see the following errors:

    [mac-welch:~/proj/python] welch% python
    kCGErrorIllegalArgument : CGSNewConnection cannot get connection port
    kCGErrorIllegalArgument : CGSNewConnection cannot get connection port
    kCGErrorInvalidConnection : CGSGetEventPort: Invalid connection
    [mac-welch:~/proj/python] welch%

2. If I su to root in the same remote session, python starts just fine!

I have tried looking at the system libraries/frameworks to make sure none
are accidentally unreadable by me, and I have even tried to look through
Python and Darwin source some to see if I could figure out where this was
arising, but so far no luck.

Thanks (in advance).

   ________

Gregory F. Welch