Python is better than free (was Re: GNU wars again)

Magnus Lie Hetland mlh at idi.ntnu.no
Tue Oct 2 18:40:22 EDT 2001

"Oleg Broytmann" <phd at phd.pp.ru> wrote in message
> On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 01:01:11PM -0700, Samuel Schulenburg wrote:
> > Sometimes you have code that you want to release with a commercial
> > product, that contains propriatary information about the internals in
> > your product. A GPL license would keep you from releasing this code
> > using Python.
>
>    This is easily solvable: buy specially licensed version. GNU GPL allows
> it. But do not take my code for nothing, please.

That is a valid point, and I won't say that one "should" use GPL or
something
else... But for the user of the licensed code (as opposed to the programmer)
getting something for free would seem "better" than paying for it, wouldn't
it? Now, whether one can afford to give away one's code for free is, of
course, an individual thing.

--

  Magnus Lie Hetland         http://www.hetland.org

 "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in
  it, doesn't go away."           -- Philip K. Dick