GNU wars again (was Re: Proposal: add vector arithmetic to array module)

Nhi Vanye offer at sgi.com
Mon Oct 1 11:50:25 EDT 2001

$ from chasm at galileo.rift -#162901 | sed "1,$s/^/> /"

>In article <xuyzo7ca3vj.fsf at halden.devel.redhat.com>, Trond Eivind
>Glomsrød wrote:
>>Of course, "free" means that you have and can modify the source and I
>>haven't seen anyone claim that using the term "open source" doesn't
>>include this. The GPL restricts your freedom to restrict the software
>>as released by you and is thus "less free" than eg. the XFree86
>>license.
>
>Ever heard the phrase "information should be free" ?  Check out some
>definitions of `hacker ethic' or read some Levy.
>
>Thinking about it this way, the GPL is more free than the XFree86 license,
>since it is the continuing availability of the code, and variations on it,
>that the license ensures - not your personal human rights/liberties/whatever.

You're right in identifying that "free" in GNU sense means the freedom
of the code, not of the developer.

I like to think of it this way:

	Microsoft: All our IP belongs to us.
	GNU: Touch our IP, and your IP belongs to us.
	X: Here's our IP, just use it.

>Julian

richard.
--
Richard Offer                         Technical Lead, Trust Technology.
"Specialization is for insects"