Is Stackless Python DEAD?

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Mon Oct 29 12:17:38 EST 2001

Quoth tatebll at aol.com (Bill Tate):
| In every respect, I believe Christian's work advances Python in very
| meaningful ways in terms of flexibility and performance.  It is stable
| and snap to install.

I'll say.  For myself, I have mixed feelings - very powerful, but
a little scary.  I was able to set up a callback-driven system that
uses continuations to span callbacks in a single function - like,

   #  callback from UI - selected login option
   def login(self):
       name = self.config.loginid
       password = self.getpassword(name)  # posts password prompt window
       #  Function actually returns from callback ...
       #  ... New callback arrives with password requested here;  continue!
       self.loginwithpassword(name, password)

That's arguably more readable than any alternative I ever thought of,
but then it substantially obscures the "real" flow of control in the
program.  Anyway, whether I want to go that way or not (and I don't
know for myself), it clearly is indeed a meaningful advance, something
that makes a substantial difference in what you can do with Python.
Definitely worth looking at, if you have gnarly asynchronous programming
issues.

	Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu