Python is better than free (was Re: GNU wars again)

Joshua Macy l0819m0v0smfm001 at sneakemail.com
Sat Oct 6 15:34:13 EDT 2001

Magnus Lie Hetland wrote:

> Feel free to contradict Strunk & White, if you like. I won't, though.

  OK, I will. Strunk & White is fine, and I use it myself, but the use
of the possessive apostrophe is, and has always been highly contentious.
  According to The Oxford Companion to the English Language:

  "...there appears from the evidence that there was never a golden age
in in which the rules for the use of the possessive apostrophe in
English were clear-cut and known, understood, and followed by most
educated people...[snip restatement of 20th c. rules essentially the
same as S&W]...beyond this point difficulties and inconsistencies are as
common in the 1990s as in earlier times, especially with proper
nouns...[snip discussion of ommission of ' in place names and
organization names]...There is widespread inconsistency and uncertainty
in the use of the apostrophe when a singular noun already ends in
-s...[snip discussion of ancient names such as Xerxes]...With short
names, an extra syllable is generally pronounced, although the
possessive can be written either way: Mr Harris' job, Mr Harris's job;
Keats' poetry, Keats's poetry..." - The Oxford Companion to the English
Language, p. 75-76

The Chicago Manual of Style (section 6.30, I believe) allows that with
polysyllabic personal names ending in a z sound, many writers and
editors now use the possessive apostrophe without an accompanying s,
e.g. Dickens' but Harriss's.  Hence, Peters'.  This is acceptable usage
in a manuscript prepared according to the manual.

The Grammar Lady (http://www.grammarlady.com) is even more liberal,
allowing the ' without-s form for any personal name ending in s.

This probably started as a hyper-generalization of the exception
mentioned in Strunk and White for certain ancient names such as Moses
and Jesus, but if it's common enough to rate an
allowable-if-used-consistently by the CMoS, it's good enough for me.

and-if-it's-good-enough-for-Moses-it's-good-enough-for-Tim-Peters-<wink>-ly
yrs,

Joshua