Distutils bug

Robert Place rwp at nyc.rr.com
Thu Oct 25 10:55:41 EDT 2001

It would appear as if the rpath option for distutils does not work for
platforms requiring -rpath instead of -R, i.e. IRIX, Linux, FreeBSD. I
noticed some discussion about this back in March of 2000 but I have been
unable to find any updates and the most recent versions of distutils I
have found here:

http://starship.python.net/~gward/python/distutils.html

do not appear to have the update needed to make this work. It comes down
to runtime_library_dir_option() in Lib/distutils/unixccompiler.py blindly
returning -R instead of checking the architecture you're working on and
returning the proper rpath option. As of 2.2a4 this still appears to be
broken.

Are there any plans to fix this? Is there another place I can look for
distutils updates? Is there another way around this?

Thanks
--
Rob