Python and Zope

Magnus nixx at telia.com
Sun Oct 7 09:57:27 EDT 2001

maxm wrote:

> "Magnus" <nixx at telia.com> ...
>
>>  When using <dtml-var myObject> to 'include' files/objects it is working
>> well if the files are in the same directory.
>
> Your question can mean several different things, i'll try to answer them.
>
> If you want to build a news site with articles in different folders like:
>
> home/
>     general/
>         article1
>         article2
>         article3
>     computers/
>     Hifi/
>         article4
>     Politics/
>         article5
>         article6
>
> And if you then want to have a list of all the articles on the front page
> you could either traverse the folders manually
>
> <dtml-call "REQUEST.set('all_articles', general.objectValues() +
> conmputers.objectValues() + Hifi.objectValues() +
> Politics.objectValues())"> <dtml-in all_articles>
> </dtml-in>
>
> Or you could use the Catalog to to list the articles. This is probably the
> best way to do it in the long run and it will be faster too.
>
> regards Max M

Thanks Max,

great stuff though I was looking for a different answer but this is also
something I need.

I was more after an answer where you are composing a page with several
objects (sorry if I use the wrong notation I'm a newbie in Python and Zope)
like:

<dtml-var standard_html_header>
<dtml-var zope_quick_start>
<dtml-var standard_html_footer>

But in my case I have some images, and script in various folders hence I
would like to do something like:

<dtml-var includes/my_header>
<dtml-var images/my_picture>
<dtml-var includes/my_footer>

(But this syntax is wrong.)

Should it be something like:

<dtml-var expr="BASE1">includes/my_header
<dtml-var expr="BASE1">images/my_picture
<dtml-var expr="BASE1">includes/my_footer

(I just found some objects that might be useful but haven't tried them out
yet e.g. RESPONSE, REQUEST and so forth.)

Thanks,
Magnus