Desperate help required for Python assignment

David C. Ullrich ullrich at math.okstate.edu
Fri Oct 19 11:07:17 EDT 2001

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001 10:47:58 +1000, "Delaney, Timothy"
<tdelaney at avaya.com> wrote:

>> From: ullrich at math.okstate.edu [mailto:ullrich at math.okstate.edu]
>> On 17 Oct 2001 00:47:07 -0700, nachiket_gole at hotmail.com (Nachiket)
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I am new to Python doing a crash course in University.  I have a
>> >assignment to submit in two days the specifications of which are:
>[snip]
>> > Please can some of the Gurus on this newsgroup help me out with a
>> >working solution as with my limited knowledge i am no position to
>> >handle this assignment in two days.
>>
>> Actually it's a trick question - this cannot be done in Python.
>> Some of your classmates will be handing in stuff that doesn't
>> quite do this, hoping for partial credit. You should tell the
>> teacher you've determined it's impossible - I'm sure he'll be
>> properly impressed.
>
>Hah! And I thought some people may possibly think I was being a bit harch on
>the fellow ...

What, you mean this _can_ be done in Python? Huh. You'd think if it
was possible in Python then the language would come with a module
that would... um, never mind.

> I appear to have been the most helpful of everyone :)
>
>Just goes to show - despite the extreme friendliness and tolerance on this
>list/newsgroup, we're still a bunch of competent techies who don't like
>spongers ...

Probably most of "us" are - me, I'm not a techie at all, competent
or not, I'm a professor who gets irritated at people trying to get
out of doing their homework. (If they got people to take the exams
for them as well I wouldn't mind so much, then I wouldn't have to
deal with the kids complaining about grades...)