Borg Pattern Class usable from other classes?

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Fri Oct 12 04:27:23 EDT 2001

"Paolo Invernizzi" <paoloinvernizzi at dmsware.com> wrote in message
news:V8kx7.32$1S1.2130 at nreader3.kpnqwest.net...
> <troll>er, shouldn't it be called a singleton?</troll>
> Alex can kill you for this ;))

All bridge players know that a singleton is something you
lead hoping partner has the Ace of the suit, so that partner
can return a second round of the suit for you to ruff.  I'm
all in favour of closer integration between my two great
loves, bridge and programming, but the DP seems misnamed.

Highlander for the DP, and Borg for the non-pattern which I
posted and D. Ascher named, seem much more appropriate names,
as the connection to science fiction movies/TV series is sharp
and pleasingly anti-parallel.

As for the issues in this thread, I agree with the diagnosis
that the problem is all about mutual imports -- Borg being
an innocent bystander, for once.

Alex