PostgreSQL Interface Query

Stuart Bishop zen at shangri-la.dropbear.id.au
Sat Oct 13 01:08:46 EDT 2001

On Saturday, October 13, 2001, at 02:05  PM, John Bell wrote:

> I have been evaluating various Python interfaces to PostgreSQL.  So far
> as I've been able to determine the options are PygreSQL (packaged with
> PostgreSQL), PoPy, psycopg and a new entrant, pypgsql.  I am leaning
> towards pypgsql (available from SourceForge) based on an comparitive
> assessment of functionality only.  However, as pypgsql is just under a
> year old and I've never heard it mentioned on any major Python or
> PostgreSQL forum before I am somewhat concerned regarding its
> stability.  I would be very interrested in comments from anyone with
> experience of the pypgsql package.

I got as far as checking its threadsafety - level 1 compliance
is a major lack to me. I also stick to using the DB API, so I can't
see any improvement in functionality to PoPy or Psycopg. If you only
want a thread level 1 compliant driver, is there any real advantage
over using PyGreSQL which is shipped as part of PostgreSQL?

These issues may be the reason there is a lack of commentary on pypgsql.
The other reason is that it must be a secret, as it still hasn't made
it onto the DB-SIG's modules list.

--
Stuart Bishop <zen at shangri-la.dropbear.id.au>