Multimedia audio programming in Python

Michael Robin me at mikerobin.com
Tue Oct 23 13:27:07 EDT 2001

You have two problems here:

(1) You probably won't be able to adjust the speed/pitch of the CD
audio directly, at least the one in your computer. If such a special
beast exists, it's probably tres expensive.
(2) Getting the CD audio so you can process it. One way is to "rip"
it, i.e., get the digital info straight from the CD. The other way is
to play the track and record it as a sound file. Either way you do it,
you'll have to then run some resampling/pitch-shifting code to get
your desired results. (A package to do this you should be able to buy
- search for it.)

In any case, most of the work is going to be dealing with audio,
special modules, your OS, etc., so it's not really a python issue -
although you could glue it all together with Python at the end.

If you're on a PC, there *may* be a high-end sound card that comes
ready to do the stuff you want - check it out. If your on a Mac, maybe
there's some funny call that does exactly what you want - no clue.

You should probably continue the thread on groups that are orientated
toward professional music/audio, DSP programming, gaming/multmedia and
whatever OS you're on. (I guess the answer probably is
straightforward=no...)

hope this helps,
mike