Is there a small Python runtime environment installer?

Tex Riddell tex_r at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 18 21:58:26 EDT 2001

"Steve Holden" <sholden at holdenweb.com> wrote in message
news:9uKz7.44320$cb.809545 at atlpnn01.usenetserver.com...
> "Tex Riddell" <tex_r at hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:3583b331.0110181524.5695bd67 at posting.google.com...
> > I have some useful scripts that I'd like to share with someone that
> > doesn't have Python.  He doesn't want to install all of Python right
> > now (like examples, utilities, source, IDE's and tk - yuck), he'd
> > rather just have an executable or install a simple runtime library and
> > run my script.

<snip>
> Probably the closest thing you'll find is PythonWare's distributions:
>
>     http://www.pythonware.com/products/python/index.htm
>
> Probably not what you want, but the closest I know about.
>
> regards
>  Steve
> --
> http://www.holdenweb.com/

Thank you, this is getting closer to what I was looking for.  It does have
the ease of install (no options), but this can be a curse as well as a
blessing.  If it had features broken down by major area, like core runtime &
libs (required), Tkinter (optional), Imaging (optional), Sount toolkit
(optional), it would be nice.

There are a couple of things that it's still lacking, however:
- environment setup (so .py files are recognized etc...).  This would of
course break it's ability to co-exist with another distro of python
environment, unless it detected that associations already existed and left
them alone.
- and much less importantly: pre-compilation and compression of .py
libraries

Still, this is my best option so far.  Thanks, Steve...
-Tex