pickling types from pywintypes

John S. Yates, Jr. john at yates-sheets.org
Tue Oct 2 16:22:01 EDT 2001

I am developing a network file system redirector and
trying to write a test framework in Python using the
win32all package.  To be able to script multiple client
machines I have a win32 server that runs on my slave
machines and a master controller test suite runner
that communicates with the slaves via dopy rpc.

dopy is layered on [c]pickle.  The problem I am having
is that the pywintypes do not seem to be pickleable:

received CreateFile
Unhandled exception in thread:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\PythonPackages\DoPy\dopy.py", line 786, in __serviceFunction
    clientConnection.send(response)
  File "C:\PythonPackages\dopy\tcp.py", line 119, in send
    Pickler(self.wfile).dump(obj)
cPickle.UnpickleableError: Cannot pickle <type 'PyHANDLE'> objects

I got essentially the same exception when trying to
pass a non-trivial PySECURITY_ATTRIBUTES.  Is this an
inherent limitation of the types provided by pywintypes?
Is there a work around?

/john

--
John Yates