PostgreSQL Interface Query

Gerhard Häring gh_pythonlist at gmx.de
Sat Oct 13 07:50:30 EDT 2001

On Sat, Oct 13, 2001 at 12:05:37PM +0800, John Bell wrote:
> I have been evaluating various Python interfaces to PostgreSQL.  So far
> as I've been able to determine the options are PygreSQL (packaged with
> PostgreSQL), PoPy, psycopg and a new entrant, pypgsql.  I am leaning
> towards pypgsql (available from SourceForge) based on an comparitive
> assessment of functionality only.

> However, as pypgsql is just under a year old and I've never heard it
> mentioned on any major Python or PostgreSQL forum before I am somewhat
> concerned regarding its stability.

There have been some talks in comp.lang.python, but mostly questions on
how to build it on platform X. And sometimes me lobbying for it ;-)

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=pypgsql

One thing is that perhaps people weren't sure where to ask questions.
Some did on c.l.p, some did on the postgresql-interfaces list, some did
via the Sourceforge bugtracker/support etc. facilities. And some asked
the developers in private mail. But since a few days, we have a mailing
list for this purpose. And also a brand-new website:
http://pypgsql.sourceforge.net/

And, lack of problem reports on public forums can be a good sign. Most
talks about modules are in my experience about problems, not when it
works just fine.

> I would be very interrested in comments from anyone with experience of
> the pypgsql package.

I am one of the developers, so this probably doesn't count.

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id 86AB43C0