conditional expressions (RE: Loop-and-a-half (Re: Curious assignment behaviour))

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Tue Oct 16 15:57:32 EDT 2001

"Donn Cave" <donn at u.washington.edu> wrote in message
news:9qhvq5$29ik$1 at nntp6.u.washington.edu...
> Quoth andy47 at halfcooked.com (Andy Todd):
> | That is my take as well. Never liked C's ternary operator, never used
it.
> | Replicating it in Python adds nothing to the language, it does not make
> | code cleaner or more efficient and it certainly doesn't make it easier
> | understand.
> |
> | Not that my vote counts but minus about 20 from me.
>
> Right, I think it's official that your (our) vote doesn't count, but
> we do count as users, and like anything else, if we just take what
> we're handed, we get what we deserve.
>
> I don't know how I'm going to feel about all this, down the road, but
> there's a chance I won't be on board, in the sense that I will not be
> interested in upgrading.  That's the vote I get.

[... melsncholy pessimism ...]

Don:

I really feel you are overestimating the commitment to implement this in 2.2
or indeed any other later release. Quite apart from the ickiness factor, it
complicates reading programs for a beginner, does not actually solve that
many real probelsm, and adds a new keyword to the language.

If I were a gambling man (which I'm not, mostly because I hate losing) I'd
give you even money that Python 2.2 will be unsullied by this particular
wart.

regards
 Steve
--