Bugfix releases (RE: profiler results for __getattr__, am I reading this correctly ? )

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Thu Oct 18 08:51:28 EDT 2001

>>> "Steve Holden" wrote
> Seriously, though, there are many good reasons why you might not want to
> upgrade, including having a large and varied hardware base and wanting to
> keep all Pythons roughly in step. Hence, lowest common denominator, usually
> what you started with on your first machine (though personally I removed
> 1.5.2 from my last system three or four moths ago, I'm now thinking of
> re0installing it on a test machine for compatibilty testing).

The other issue is, of course, when an upgrade involves compiling up
each and every different 3rd party module you use, after first making
sure it's compatible with the new major release.

> >    a) bugfixes.
> Kind of essential in a bugfix release.

well yes. forgive my humour.

> >    d) if the bug fix relies on some 2.2-ism, then it's either rewritten,
> >       or ignored and relnoted
> Yes, but are there any such?

Beats me, I'm only just starting to trawl. The obvious ones might be the
internals, where the bugfix is on top of the 2.1-based code.

The other thing is to trawl the SF bug database for bugs logged since 2.1 -
pity the SF Tracker really isn't that pleasant to trawl...

> This all sounds about right. So, how does it feel to be the new patch czar?

say what? is this one of those "whoever mentioned it first gets it" type
things?