Curious assignment behaviour

Mikael Olofsson mikael at isy.liu.se
Fri Oct 19 06:54:50 EDT 2001

On 19-Oct-2001 Nomad wrote:
 >  I'm probably over my head (and more than likely rambling as well), but
 >  in "let x = y" doesn't the 'let' denote that the value of 'x' will be
 >  changed?

>From a programming point of view, I certainly agree. From a mathematical
point of view, "let x=y", only means that x and y are equal, most often
regardless of what you have said about x and y before. If I write
mathematical texts, and wish to communicate assignment, I either say
"set x=y" (mostly in an algorithm) or use an = with a triangle above,
as I described in an earlier post.

Set-let-to-set-and-all-will-be-set-ly y'rs
/Mikael

E-Mail:  Mikael Olofsson <mikael at isy.liu.se>
WWW:     http://www.dtr.isy.liu.se/dtr/staff/mikael
Phone:   +46 - (0)13 - 28 1343