Why so few Python jobs? (and licenses)

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Fri Oct 12 04:53:21 EDT 2001

"Paul Rubin" <phr-n2001d at nightsong.com> wrote in message
news:7xd73x1cgf.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com...
> Gerhard Häring <gh_pythonlist at gmx.de> writes:
> > On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 07:51:08PM -0700, Paul Rubin wrote:
> > > I don't think anything in the standard Python library is GPL'd.
> > > (GPL-compatible yes, GPL'd no).
> >
> > But AFAIK some functionality is only there if you link against GPL'd
> > libraries like GMP (for arbitrary length Python longs), readline and
> > maybe others I forgot.
>
> I don't think the gmp module is in the standard distribution.  Anyway,

It isn't, and neither are my gmpy, and Lemburg's more recent GMP wrapper
(whose name I don't recall right now).

> GMP itself is LGPL'd, not GPL'd, so you can use GMP in closed programs
> as long as you offer the source of the version of GMP you distribute
> (but NOT the surrounding program you incorporate it in).

Right, but I think a wrapper for a LGPL'd library is a derived work
and so must in turn be (at least) LGPL'd (which is why I did that
for gmpy).

> I'm not sure about Readline.

Readline is GPL, http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/readline/rltop.html.

On Windows, only, you can get a reasonable subset of Readline's
functionality (but not completion) from Alternative Readline,
http://newcenturycomputers.net/projects/readline.html, whose
license is Python-like (not GPL nor LGPL).

Alex