newbie question

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Wed Oct 31 15:59:20 EST 2001

"lance crocker" <jnlc at bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:3be053e7.293796 at news1.lig.bellsouth.net...

> i just tried putting that path into the autoexec file and rebooting.
> it didn't change anything i still get the same errors.
>
> when you go to open a file how do you do it? do you type python
> hello.py while you are in commandline mode or while you are in gui
> mode?

You type it in when you see the DOS command prompt - at the D:> prompt, or
whatever. It's obvious you are getting Python to run, otherwise you wouldn't
be seeing ">>>" as your prompt. But by the time you see that prompt it's too
late: you are already running Python. At that stage

    import hello

would work, but only once. After that you'd have to

    reload(hello)

The DOS command prompt has no GUI mode! Here's a session in which I do more
or less what you are trying to. In my case the "hello.py" program says hello
to you rather than the world.

C:\WINDOWS>d:

D:\Steve>cd Projects\Python

D:\Steve\Projects\Python>python hello.py
Hello, Lance!

D:\Steve\Projects\Python>

Got it?

regards