Zope vs PHP for the Linux guru

Benjamin geer benjamin.geer at misys.com
Mon Oct 15 06:55:52 EDT 2001

claird at starbase.neosoft.com (Cameron Laird) wrote in message news:<B72B302E37066816.6331F170A093A2AF.D02BC798CFF1B3F5 at lp.airnews.net>...
> Zope scales fine.  There's a lot that goes into this;
> the one-line summary is that Zope more than holds its
> own.

Has the Python interpreter's global thread lock caused any
difficulties in getting Zope to scale well?  If so, I'd be very
curious to know how this hurdle has been overcome.

I often use Python as a cleaner alternative to shell script, but the
idea of a global thread lock after every fifth instruction has always
made me wary of using it for anything in which performance is
critical.

Could anyone fill me in on the current status of the
global-thread-lock issue?  Is there a consensus on whether it's
important, and if so, what should be done about it?

Benjamin