how to create a def that has the behaviour like a built-in keyword...

Rich Harkins rharkins at thinkronize.com
Fri Oct 5 16:11:43 EDT 2001

The difference is that print is a Python statement, not a function in the
Python sense.  Python treats print, while, for, if, et. al. as special
reserved words.  You may have noticed also that "print=5" and "def
print(x):" will produce a most spectacular syntax error.

In Python *ALL* functions require parenthesis.  The behaviour you are
demonstrating would be possible in Perl (and I think Ruby), but Python
doesn't treat the language syntax and functions as interchangable.  Not
being able to create functions to masquerade as statements is occasionally
inconvenient but far more often than not is a good thing IMHO.

Hope this helps!
Rich