accessing a web search engine

Chris Liechti cliechti at gmx.net
Wed Oct 31 19:16:22 EST 2001

Rajarshi Guha <rxg218 at psu.edu> wrote in
news:9rq340$1hfc at r02n01.cac.psu.edu:
>   I'm trying to use Python to send queries to a webpage and analyse the
> results. However the search engine does'nt use cgi scripts - it uses a
> Javascript function. How can I access a JScript function. I realize
> that this is not really a Python question, but since I am using it I
> thought I'd ask here. I know that I have to use the urllib module but
> what string do I send to the server?

if the search engine is written in javascript the database is either in the
webpage itself or there is a link to a datafile (probably a ".js"). if you
can copy the database you can write your onwn search in python.

an other option is that the search engine is written as java-applet with
data daownload or a connection to the server, but this is rare and a
completly other story.

chris

--
Chris <cliechti at gmx.net>