script Re: comparative performance benchmark Python 1.5.2 - 2.0 - 2.1

Frederic Giacometti fredg at sdsc.edu
Thu Oct 25 14:59:15 EDT 2001

I submitted the scripts to as sourceforge bug 474992...
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=474992&group_id=5470&atid=105470
The scrips can also be obtained through cvs at:
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.JPE.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/jpe login
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.JPE.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/jpe checkout
perftestpython

Here are the results:

version   bench1    nogc  bench2
1.5.2        0 %
2.0         48 %    33 %    21 %
2.1.1       53 %    35 %    25 %
2.2         51 %    35 %    23 %

where:

bench1 = original python 1.5.2 script
nogc = bench1 when disabling gc
bench2 = bench1 script 'rewritten' for python 2.0 and latter (string
methods, sre -> pre...)

These numbers represent the increase in user CPU time (see bench.out for
more details).
The results are high, under all angles.

All python versions were build using the standard/default configure
parameters.
The runs are on Tru64, but we get similar results on Solaris.

Can these results be confirmed ? (i.e.: if not, what did we get
wrong...?).

If yes ... could the features responsible for the performance hogs (gc +
???) be set as optional, and taken out of the default build ?

Frederic Giacometti