Further help w/ readline needed (was:Re: Past command buffer gone in interpreter?)

Kit O'Connell vulpine at dontspam.earthling.net
Thu Oct 18 02:48:03 EDT 2001

On 16 Oct 2001, Timothy Grant wrote:

> Having recently been through this, you may want to try replacing the
> -ltermcap with -lncurses and see if that resolves your problem. It did
> for me.

gcc  -Xlinker -export-dynamic -o python \
                Modules/python.o \
                libpython2.1.a -lpthread -ldl  -lutil -lreadline
-lncurses
     -lm
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lncurses
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

ncurses is present in:
/usr/lib/libncurses.so.5
/usr/lib/libncurses.so.5.2

Is it possible that for some reason make can't find ncurses (and
termcap, et al)? Is there a way I can force it to look there? I tried
the -L flag (added '-L/usr/lib/' after -lncurses) but it didn't seem to
have any effect; maybe I'm not using it right.

Thanks,
Kit